Mrs Nancy Cassian
Through a study of the Arts, students learn skills that develop creativity, problem solving, critical thinking, discipline and focus. Study and participation in the Arts has been shown to be a key component in improved learning in all academic areas. Non-academic benefits such as promoting self-esteem, cultural exposure, improved emotional expression and appreciation of diversity, further reinforce the value of the Visual Arts in a whole school education program.
The Holy Spirit Primary School specialist Art program encompasses all students from Years 1-6:
- Years 1 & 2 have a 90 minute lesson once per fortnight
- Years 3-6 have a 90 minute less once per week
Our program aims to provide all children with a positive and encouraging environment where they can confidently express their creativity and individuality.
There are 3 main elements to the program:
- Making – where the students develop skills, techniques and processes to represent their ideas in different forms. Over the course of the year students are able to experiment with a variety of mediums including painting, drawing, textiles, print-making, collage and sculpture.
- Responding – Students respond to their own and others’ art works by viewing, reflecting, analysing and critiquing skills and techniques.
- Art Knowledge – Students study various Australian and international artist to observe techniques that will in turn inspire their own works.
We proudly display our finished art work in the classrooms, school office, around the school and on our website for all to view and enjoy.